(Image Source http://www.pinterest.com/pin/9218374208910145/)
The time of year is upon us when we start thinking about what gifts to give our loved ones. If your Christmas list is starting to look like a telephone book, then it may be time to look at creating your own gifts.
Making your own gifts not only saves a few pennies it will also make your Christmas gifts more personal and don’t forget the pretty packaging!
One of my favourite gifts to make are Lavender Bags, they are simple to make (I am a complete sewing novice) they have a delightful scent that is sure to put a smile on anyone’s face!
Handmade Lavender Bags
(Image Source http://www.pinterest.com/pin/49117452156962868/)
You will need
1. Remnants of pretty fabrics
2. Tape measure
4. Pins, needle and thread
5. Ribbons and buttons
6. Dried Lavender
1. Cut out a piece of fabric measuring 18x15cm (7x6in).
2. Fold the fabric in half widthways, with the pattern facing inwards. Pin along the sides, allowing for a 1cm (1/3in) seam, then stitch together.
3. Trim the bottom corners of the bag on the diagonal, then turn it the right side out.
4. Cut a length of ribbon, fold it in half to find the centre point, then stitch this to the back of the bag about 3cm (1¼in) from the top edge (this will be used to tie the bag up). Sew on a button about 3cm (1¼in) from the top on the front of the bag.
5. To make the inner pouch for the lavender, cut another piece of fabric, this time measuring 18x12cm (7x5in). Fold it in half and stitch up the bottom and side, again allowing a 1cm (1/3in) seam. Turn the bag right side out and fill with lavender. Hand stitch all along the top to enclose the lavender.
6. Pop the lavender bag inside your decorative bag and tie the ribbon by wrapping it around the button.
There you have it, you now know how to create your own lavender bags. You can of course change the design to suit your own personal preference.
The most important thing to remember with your dried lavender is how you store it. We recommend storing any left over dried lavender in an air tight container and storing in a cool, dry, dark area.